Panna Cotta, a Classic moulded Italian dessert is basically sweetened cream thickened with gelatine and flavoured with coffee,rum,vanilla and so on or by infusing spices.A creamy and luxurious dessert and a perfect crowd pleaser,it's a sure hit in a party.Had always prepared this dessert in individual glasses but this way of presentation did win me a few accolades:).All thanks to Donna Hay' s Modern Classics cookbook .An ardent fan of her cooking I make sure I don't miss out a single episode of her cookery show on TLC.
This lusciously smooth and creamy dessert has a layer of poached peaches with the poaching liquid set with gelatine in the bottom layer and cream infused with vanilla bean in the upper layer,set and de molded upside down.The peaches in the transparent layer give a gorgeous look to the subtly sweet dessert and gives a classy impression.Serve it in small dessert glasses,stem glasses,bowls or demold it,garnish with berries or a citrusy sauce or some diced peaches doused in Grand Marnier....tailor it to whatever occasion you have prepared it for.Nothing could be easier or more delicious!
1 1/2 C(12 fl oz) water
3 peaches,halved and stoned
1 tbsp powdered gelatine
For the Panna cotta
2 tbsp powdered gelatine
1/3 C (2 1/2 fl oz) water
3 3/4 C(30 fl oz) single or pouring cream
1 C icing or confectioners sugar
1 vanilla bean,split and scraped
- Boil the water and sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the peaches and simmer for 3-5 mins or until soft.
- Remove the peaches and and slip off the skins reserving the poaching liquid.
- Mix the gelatine with 1/4 of the peach liquid and add the mixture to the remaining liquid in the saucepan,stir and simmer for 2 mins or until dissolved.
- Place the peach halves,cut side up in a well greased loaf tin and pour the liquid over the peaches.
- Refrigerate for 2 hrs or until firm.
- To make the Panna cotta mix the gelatine with warm water and set aside.
- Place the cream ,icing sugar and scraped vanilla in a a saucepan over medium heat and stir.
- Add the gelatine mixture and simmer over low heat for nearly 4 mins or until dissolved.
- Allow to cool to room temperature then pour the mixture over the set jelly and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve dip the tin in warm water and invert onto a plate.
- Slice and serve.